WPI, 3; Emmanuel College, 0 (25-17, 25-16, 25-16)
Emmanuel College Saints (6-14)
WPI Engineers (11-8)
Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Thursday, October 17, 2019
THE LEAD: The WPI women's volleyball team made quick work of host Emmanuel College in a 3-0 (25-17, 25-16, 25-16) sweep on Thursday evening in non-conference action in Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Engineers opened the match on a 4-0 blitz and never looked back in the opening set, holding a lead throughout while holding the Saints to a dismal negative -.038 hitting percentage as a team in the set to take the frame, 25-17
- It didn't get any better for Emmanuel in the second set as WPI continued its strong play at the net, holding the Saints to a negative -.083 attacking percentage in the second set to cruise to a 25-16 win.
- EC show some fight early on in the final frame, trading points in the action to a 6-5 score before the Engineers rattled off five straight points to swing the momentum en route to the 3-0 sweep in non-conference play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- WPI junior middle hitters Amanda Wetmore (Hudson, N.H.) and Sarah Kwatinetz (Seattle, Wa.) powered the Engineers with 10 kills each while hitting .400 and .529, respectively in the win.
- Emmanuel freshman libero Samantha Carrigan (Plaistow, N.H.) collected a match-high 15 digs in the loss while classmate Tatiana Correia (Peabody, Mass.) added nine digs.
- Freshman setter Catherine Reynolds (Concord, N.H.) ran a balanced offensive show for WPI dishing out 32 helpers to go along with seven digs and three aces for a strong all-around showing while junior libero Kayleigh Campbell (Wilbraham, Mass.) collected 10 digs.
- Also in double-digit dig totals for WPI was junior outside hitter Kate Amrein (Nashua, N.H.) with 11 put-ups.
- In the win, WPI tallied eight aces and eight total blocks compared to just one aces and zero blocks by the host Saints.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Saturday, October 19th when they head across Brookline Ave. to take on Simmons University at 12:00 PM in GNAC action.
- WPI is back the same day, traveling to Bowdoin College for a 1:00 PM non-conference tilt.