BOSTON, Mass. – Junior Molly Donahue (Quincy, Mass.) scored the golden goal for the Wentworth women's soccer team in the 100th minute, and sent the Leopards to their first win of the season with a 1-0 triumph over Emmanuel College on Wednesday evening at Sweeney Field.
Wentworth moves to 1-2 on the season, while Emmanuel suffers its first loss of 2019 at 1-1.
- Molly Donahue (from Emma DaSilva) – 100'
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Just 44 seconds into double overtime, junior Emma daSilva (Lowell, Mass.) sent Donahue running on the right flank with a perfectly placed ball. Donahue took one touch before her right-footed strike soared past the right side of Emmanuel keeper Lexi Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.).
- Both teams nearly got on the board in two separate instances of the match, as junior Abigail Meyers (Leicester, Mass.) tested the Emmanuel defense early in the 13th and 19th minute, respectively, but both shots soared just off-target.
- daSilva fired a shot point-blank in the 51st minute, but a sliding Gawron kept the Leopards at bay for the time being.
- With five minutes to go in regulation, Emmanuel nearly put the game away as Natalie Dash (Cooper City, Fla.) redirected a lofted corner kick by Syden Allen (Middleton, Mass.), but the header pinned the crossbar, sending both teams into overtime.
- Junior Allison Haynes (Shelton, Conn.) earns her first win of the season with five saves.
- Gawron made two saves in the effort for Emmanuel and drops to 1-1.
- The Leopards are now 10-10-2 all-time vs Emmanuel.
- Donahue's goal is the third game-winner of her career.
The Leopards hit the road on Saturday for a 12:00 p.m. match at Western Connecticut while the Saints play host to Castleton at noon the same day.
*Release courtesy of WIT Athletic Communications