Score: Anna Maria College, 55; Emmanuel College, 70
Records: Anna Maria College AMCats (5-11, 1-1 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (11-5, 3-0 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, January 18th, 2020
THE LEAD: Emmanuel College's women's basketball team remains unbeaten in Great Northeast Athletic Conference play after a 70-55 victory over the AMCats of Anna Maria College. Senior Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) led the way with her twelfth double-double of the year with 23 points and 18 rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ramirez-Tejeda scored the first eleven points for the Saints, 11-5, before the AMCats closed the gap with a made layup and pair of free throws by Amber Wilson (New York, N.Y.), 13-9. The Saints were able to close out the quarter ahead, 15-14, despite a five to two run by Anna Maria.
- The AMCats were riddled with turnovers in the second quarter thanks to the full court press of the Saints. Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) and Jamad Fiin (Boston, Mass.) created havoc in the front of the press which turned to a twenty-point quarter for the Saints, 35-19.
- Sienna Johnson (Brockton, Mass.) opened the third quarter with a made layup for Anna Maria, but early baskets by Riley Lahiff (Attleboro, Mass.) and Weaver stifled any possible momentum, 41-25. Mid way through the third, Anna Maria went on a nine-point run with Johnson scoring eight of the points, limiting the Saints lead at the end of the quarter, 43-40.
- The Saints came out of the break with a hot hand, scoring a quick 15 points off of a made shot behind the arc by Fiin and pair of jump shots by Loredana D'Agostino (East Windsor, Conn.), 58-44. Despite two three-point jump shots by Hailey Vergara (Rialto, Calif.), late in regulation, the Saints were able to close out the game with a victory, 70-55.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda recorded her twelfth double-double of the season with a game-high 23 points, 18 rebounds and one assist.
- D'Agostino also posted a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
- Johnson was the leading scorer for the AMCats, with 18 points. Vergara was also in double-digits with 13 points, one rebound and one assist.
- The AMCats will be back at home on Tuesday, January 21st to face GNAC rival Suffolk University at 7:00 PM.
- The Saints will take the long trek up to Norwich University on Tuesday, January 21st for a mid-week GNAC matchup.