Score: University of Saint Joseph, 32; Emmanuel College, 82
Records: University of Saint Joseph's Blue Jays (8-7, 0-2 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (10-5, 2-0 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Wednesday, January 15th, 2020
THE LEAD: The EC women's basketball team recorded their second Great Northeast Athletic Conference victory on Wednesday, January 15th over the University of Saint Joseph's Blue Jays, led by a game-high 21 points by Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) and 11 points by freshman Emma Fenton (Monument Beach, Mass.), 82-32.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team was able to gain an offensive rhythm in the first quarter, but the Blue Jays' Meredith Forman (Bristol, Conn.) was able to collect all eight points for USJ, while EC's Loredana D'Agostino (Broad Brook, Conn.) and Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) combined for eleven points from within the key to push the Saints ahead. 19-8.
- Additional post play by Caitlin Cipriano (Waterbury, Conn.), Emma Fenton (Monument Beach, Mass.) and Jamad Fiin (Boston, Mass.) propelled the Saints ahead, while Deanna De La Cruz (Winsted, Conn.) and Madison McElroy (Colchester, Vt.) attempted to keep the contest close, closing out the second quarter behind EC, 44-18.
- Ramirez-Tejeda scored the first two buckets of the third with Riley Lahiff (North Attleboro, Mass.) and Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) also shooting well from the field, opening up the game, 68-25.
- Raelynn Voislow (Windsor Locks, Conn.) opened up the final quarter with a made jump shot from behind the arc for the Blue Jays, but the reserves of Emmanuel continued to stay on the gas with big time post play by Fenton and strong rebounding by Fiin, closing the game with a strong conference victory, 82-32.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda scored a game-high 21 points, along with six rebounds, four steals and two assists, while Fenton recorded a career-high 11 points, three rebounds and a block.
- Forman was the driving offensive force for the Blue Jays, finishing the day with 12 points, four rebounds, three steals and one assist.
- USJ will be back at home on Saturday, January 18th for a 1PM matchup against GNAC opponent Norwich University.
- The Saints will attempt to stay perfect in conference play on Saturday, January 18th against Anna Maria College on the Andy Yosinoff Court at 3PM.