Emmanuel College, 56; Keene State College, 49
Emmanuel College Saints (7-4, 0-0 GNAC)
Keene State College Owls (2-9, 1-1 LEC)
Las Vegas, Nevada. – South Point Arena
Monday, December 30, 2019
THE LEAD: Senior guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) moved into 10th all-time in scoring at Emmanuel College netting 21 points to go along with 19 rebounds in Emmanuel's 56-49 victory over Keene State College on Monday afternoon in Women's Basketball action at the 10th Annual D3Hoops.com Classic out in Las Vegas, Nevada.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel led 7-6 early on following an old-fashion three-point play by senior guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) before the Owls put together an 8-2 blitz over the next two minutes to pull ahead 14-9 after a triple by Hien Thach (Burlington, Vt.) late in the first quarter.
- Keene maintained the five-point lead early in the second quarter after a jumper by Jordyn Burke (Bennington, Vt.) made it 16-11 before back-to-back hoops by EC senior guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) cut the lead to 16-15 with 8:36 to play in the half.
- With 2:46 to play in the stanza, Weaver connected on a long jumper to put the Saints back on top, 23-22 and EC held on to the one-point cushion heading into halftime leading 25-24.
- Both teams struggled from the field in the half as the Owls shot 36.7% from the floor while Emmanuel was at 36.4%.
- A 5-0 spurt in the third quarter by Keene gave the Owls a 35-32 before an and-one layup and free throw by Ramirez-Tejeda to even the score at 35-all with 2:41 to play in the third.
- After a free throw by Lilly Shlimon (Pelham, N.H.) lifted KSC back on top 36-35, the Saints connected on back-to-back hoops to regain a three point cushion at 39-36.
- The squads continued to trade hoops over the final minute of the frame as the Saints led 43-40 following the third quarter horn.
- Sophomore forward Loredana D'Agostino (Broad Brook, Conn.) scored on two consecutive possession to open the fourth to increase the Emmanuel lead to 47-40, forcing the Owls to call a timeout with 8:22 left in regulation.
- A layup and free throw by Kenzie Bennett (Lake George, N.Y.) ended Emmanuel's 8-0 run to open the third, cutting the EC lead to 51-43 with 4:28 to play.
- The Saints held on for the 56-49 victory to finish their West coast swing with a 2-0 record.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda posted her eighth double-double of the year with game-highs in both points and rebounds. She moved into 10th all-time in scoring at Emmanuel surpassing Brianne Bognanno '02 and now has 1,248 points, needing 23 points to move into ninth all-time.
- Sophomore Riley Lahiff (North Attleboro, Mass.) added 12 points and six rebounds in the win.
- Shlimon paced the Owls with a team-high 10 points.
- The two victories over the break mark the first time the Saints have gone 2-0 during their semester tourney action since the 2015-16 season when EC topped CCNY and Cairn at the Keiser University New Year's Classic in West Palm Beach, Fla.
- EC is now idle until Wednesday, January 8 when they travel to Salem State University for a 6:00 PM non-conference game.
- Keene State returns to the court on Saturday, January 4 when they play host to Southern Maine in Little East Conference action.