Score: Rhode Island College, 62; Emmanuel College, 55
Records: Rhode Island College Anchorwomen (8-1); Emmanuel College Saints (5-4)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Monday, December 9, 2019
THE LEAD: The Anchorwomen of Rhode Island College handed the Emmanuel College Women's basketball squad its first loss in two games with seven-point victory, 62-55, on Monday, December 9th, led by sophomore center Willcia McBorrough's (Providence, R.I.) game-high 22 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RIC was able to pull out of the gates with a layup by McBorrough and a three-point shot by Sophia Guerrier (Waltham, Mass.) to pull ahead by six, but EC's Jamad Fiin (Boston, Mass.) and Loredana D'Agostino (East Windsor, Conn.) connected on late period shots to tie the game, 14-14.
- Both teams traded leads six times through the first five minutes of the period until two made free throws and a layup by D'Agostio and a layup by Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) pulled the Saints ahead, 25-20, with four minutes left in the half. Dominant play in the paint by the Anchorwomen closed out the period on an 8-2 run to take the lead, 28-27.
- The sophomore tandem of D'Agostino and Riley Lahiff (Attleboro, Mass.) pushed the Saints ahead early in the third, but back to back layups by McBorrough and a jump shot by Brooke Young (West Warwick, R.I.) kept the game close through the third. Ramirez-Tejeda connected on two jump shots late to put the Saints ahead at the end of the third, 43-40.
- Abby Phelan (Norton, Mass.) made a three-point jump shot with 5:47 left in the game to bring RIC ahead by one, 48-47, and the Anchorwomen never looked back. McBorrough and Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, Mass.) traded made field goals back and forth through the final minutes of regulation on seal the victory over the Saints, 62-55.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- McBorrough led the evening with a game-high 22 points, shooting 10-12 from the field and was also able to collect nine rebounds and two steals.
- EC was led by D'Agostino's team-high 16 points, along with double-digit scores by Ramirez-Tejeda (13), Lahiff (10) and Weaver (10).
- The Anchorwomen will be back after a break for finals on December 18th at home against Johnson & Waled University at 5:30PM.
- Emmanuel will enjoy the well-deserved winter break before heading to Las Vegas, Nevada on December 29th to play the Milwaukee School of Engineering at 5:00PM.