Emmanuel College, 64; MIT, 59
Emmanuel College Saints (5-3, 0-0 GNAC)
MIT Engineers (1-7, 0-0 NEWMAC)
Cambridge, Mass. – Rockwell Cage
Saturday, December 7, 2019
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College women's basketball team erased a halftime deficit to pick up a 64-59 road win over MIT on Saturday afternoon at the Rockwell Cage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Engineers opened both the first and second quarter with quick 5-0 runs to help the hosts maintain a lead throughout the entire first half of play.
- MIT led 33-31 at the break and held a 22-15 advantage in rebounds.
- Emmanuel outscored MIT 18-13 in the third quarter to position itself for the win, taking the lead for good with 3:30 to play in the stanza on a jumper by senior guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) to bump EC on top, 42-40.
- A layup by junior guard Jamad Fiin (Boston, Mass.) gave the Saints their largest lead of the afternoon of eight points at 54-46 early in the fourth quarter but the Engineers pulled within a single possession following a three by Paula Pieper (Greenville, S.C.) that cut the lead to 62-59 with 2:29 to play.
- Sophomore forward Loredana D'Agostino (Broad Brook, Conn.) converted a pair of free throws on the next possession to move the score to 64-59 with over two minutes to play but the score would prove to be the final as neither team was able to convert down the stretch, allowing Emmanuel to hold on for the five-point road win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda led all scorers in front of her hometown crowd with 18 points and added a team-high eight rebounds and three assists in the win.
- D'Agostino dropped a season-best 13 points to go along with seven board, two assists and two blocks.
- Senior guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) chipped in with eight points and six steals while first year Taylor Gillis (Glen Burnie, Md.) contributed nine points off the bench.
- Christina Antonakakis (Holmdel, N.J.) paced MIT with a team-high 15 points while Pieper added 13.
- Annika Sougstad (Mahtomedi, Minn.) collected a double-double on 10 points and 10 rebounds while Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) pulled down a game-high 13 rebounds in just 20 minutes of action as a reserve.
- The Saints wrap the semester on Monday, December 9 when they welcome Rhode Island College for a 7:00 PM non-conference tilt.
- MIT closes out its semester on Tuesday, December 10 playing host to Framingham State University at 7:00 PM.