Score: Becker College, 35; Emmanuel College, 83
Records: Becker College Hawks (1-5); Emmanuel College Saints (3-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, November 21, 2019
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College women's basketball team flew by the Hawks of Becker College on Thursday evening, as Jamad Fiin (Boston, Mass.) went 5-7 from the field, 4-6 of which came from behind the arc to record a season-high 16 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- EC started the evening with the Yosinoff full-court press, creating seven turnovers in the first five minutes of play, led by two early steals by senior guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.). Along with the strong defense, Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) pushed EC to a quick five points out of the game, helping to close the first quarter ahead 24-6.
- The Saints kept the defensive pressure on the Hawks, but Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, Mass.) wasn't going to let up, completing the and-one a minute and a half into the second. Senior forward Caitlin Cipriano (Waterbury, Conn.) of the Saints ate up the paint through the quarter, creating her own shots and dishing to teammate Jamad Fiin (Boston, Mass.), 52-16.
- The third period began with a slew of fouls by the Saints' starters. After another three-point field goal by Finn and a pair of layups by Ramirez-Tejeda, the reserves entered the game and continues to push the offense. Lorena D'Agostino (East Windsor, Conn.) and Caitlin Barker (Plainville, Conn.) ran the floor for jump-shot and layups to extend the lead, 70-28.
- Emma Fenton (Monument Beach, Mass.) came off the bench for the Saints and owned the paint through the end of regulation. Korey Mathis (Duluth, Ga.) and Taylor Gillis (Glen Burnie, Md.) fed the big under the basket to create shots of her own and also distributed to teammates around the arc, closing the game 83-35.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda finished the evening with her third double-double in as many games with 25 points and 10 rebounds, along with an assist and a steal.
- Fiin shot 71% from the field collecting 16 points and two rebounds. Like many of the starters, she also recorded a steal from the full-court press.
- The Hawks were led by Harrison's 11 points, four rebounds and three steals. Harrison was the only Becker player to record double-digit points.
- Becker College will enjoy the Thanksgiving break before playing again, hosting the University of St. Joseph's on Monday, December 2nd at 7PM.
- The Saints will be on the road for the first time this season on Saturday, November 23rd at 12PM against the UMass Boston Beacons.