Emmanuel College, 66; Connecticut College, 48
Emmanuel College Saints (2-1, 0-0 GNAC)
Connecticut College Camels (2-1, 0-0 NESCAC)
Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Tuesday, November 19, 2019
THE LEAD: First year shooting guard Caitlin Barker (Plainville, Conn.) led all scorers with 13 points to lift the Emmanuel College women's basketball team to a 66-48 victory over Connecticut College on Tuesday evening in non-conference action on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints opened the game with two quick hoops by senior guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) to go up 4-0 but the Camels responded and took a 7-6 lead on a triple by sophomore guard Claire Gulbin (Wilton, Conn.) with 7:22 to play in the opening quarter.
- After trading hoops to a 10-10 score, the hosts took the lead for good on a jumper by Weaver with 3:44 left in the first and held the two-point advantage heading into the second quarter leading 15-13.
- Connecticut cut the lead to one at 17-16 after sophomore guard Audrey Shaev (Scarsdale, N.Y.) connected on a three at the 7:45 mark but it was the closest the visitors would come as the Saints opened up a nine-point lead heading into halftime ahead 29-20.
- Emmanuel put the game away with a strong third stanza, putting together a 15-5 run out of the locker room capped by a three by Barker to put EC ahead 44-25 late in the third.
- Barker gave Emmanuel its largest lead of the night in the fourth, sinking a pair of free throws to increase the lead to 25 at 60-35 before the Camels closed the game strong to account for the 66-48 final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Barker finished the game going 3-for-6 from long range and converted 4-of-4 free throw attempts in 19 minutes of action.
- Weaver chipped in with 12 points going 6-for-8 from the field and added three steals and two assists.
- Senior Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) posted her third consecutive double-double with a quiet 17 rebounds and 10 points in 29 minutes.
- Gulbin paced the Camels with a team-high 11 points, adding four rebounds in the effort.
- Conn. College was without their leading scorer, senior guard Sami Ashton (Clinton, Conn.) who did not dress in the contest. Ashton came into the game averaging 22.5 points through two games.
- Emmanuel held Connecticut College to just 22.9% shooting from the floor (17-for-69) and outrebounded the Camels, 57-36.
- EC sophomore forward Polina Ovchinnikova (Moscow, Russia.) chipped in by tying her career-high with an eight-rebound effort in 14 minutes of action.
- Despite the win, the Saints committed 25 turnovers on the night compared to only 14 by the Camels.
- The hosts scored 18 fast-break points compared to just two by Conn. College.
- Emmanuel improves to 5-0 all-time vs. the Camels.
- The Saints have one day off before returning to action on Thursday, November 21 when they host Becker College at 7:00 PM.
- Connecticut College is also back on the court this Thursday, heading to Bristol, R.I. to take on Roger Williams University at 7:00 PM.