Scores: Emmanuel College, 1; Framingham State University, 2
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (0-1)
Framingham State University Rams (1-0)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Rotch Playground Field
Date: Saturday, August 31, 2019
THE LEAD: Despite an early match lead, the Emmanuel College Saints dropped their season opener to the Framingham State University Rams as senior Isaac De Souza (Sao Paulo, Brazil) led the way, recording both an assist and a goal on the evening to finish the match, 2-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams were the first to make an offensive attack as senior Isaac De Souza (Sao Paulo, Brazil) attacked the Emmanuel goal, but senior Jonathon Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) made the first save of the season for the Saints.
- EC found the back of the net only 11:37 into the half as sophomore forward Robert Danielian (Watertown, Mass.) crossed a dime to sophomore Alec Erskine (Coventry, Conn.) for the first goal of the year, 1-0.
- Framingham continued to press and finally tied the match at one a piece as De Souza scored off of an assist through the box by sophomore Nahuel Algibay (Montevideo, Usuguay), 1-1.
- Both teams continued physical play through the remainder of the first half, but neither team was able to capitalize closing the half, 1-1.
- Algibay was able to score his own goal in the seventy-sixth minute as De Douza put a ball ahead for the forward to take to the net, beating two Saints and finding the back of the net, 2-1.
- Despite late match offensive attacks by the Saints, including two corner kick attempts, the Rams were able to finish the evening with their first victory of the 2019 season, 2-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Rams controlled most of the offense of the game, recording 17 shots, nine of which were on goal, while the Saints only put up nine shots, two of which were on goal.
- The goal for Erskine was the first of his collegiate career.
- Senior goalkeeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) recorded seven saves in his first loss of the year, including one on a penalty kick halfway through the second half, while senior Corey Davidge (Blackstone, Mass.) only recorded one save.
- The Saints will head on the road Wednesday, September 4th to play non-conference opponent Fitchburg State University at 4:00 PM.
- Framingham State will be back on the road on Tuesday, September 3rd when they visit Tufts University at 7:00 PM.