Score: Emmanuel College - 4, Mount Ida College- 1
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (2-6-6, 2-2-4 GNAC), Mount Ida Mustangs (8-5-1, 5-3 GNAC)
Location: Roberto Clemente Field – Boston, Mass.
Date: Saturday, October 14, 2017
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College men's soccer team erased an early deficit to come from behind and capture a 4-1 victory over Mount Ida College on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mustangs got on the board just 36 seconds into the contest on freshman forward Ethan Sweet's (Claremont, N.H.) seventh goal of the season. Sweet got on the end of an assist from Juan Brenes (Santo Domingo, D.R.) to give Mount Ida the early 1-0 cushion.
- Emmanuel tied the game at 1-1 in the 22nd minute with his second goal of the year. Senior forward Cameron Messier (Belchertown, Mass.) assisted on the tally.
- The Saints swung the momentum just before the half to take a 2-1 lead with just 22 seconds remaining in the stanza on freshman Justin Wentworth's team-leading fourth goal of the year. Junior Steven Sexton (Merrimack, N.H.) played a long through ball to Wentworth who was able to find the back of the net and give Emmanuel the one-goal lead heading into the break.
- Emmanuel added to its lead in the 73rd minute of play as sophomore William Burdick (Scarborough, Maine) found the back of the net with an assist from freshman Connor Hawker (San Jose, Calif.).
- Sexton put the game out of reach with his first collegiate tally with 6:34 to play on a penalty kick to account for the 4-1 final.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Mount Ida owned a slim advantage in shots over the Saints with a 13-12 margin.
- Messier's assist was the 14th of his career, tying him for the program lead with Danny Richman '13
- Sophomore goalkeeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) earned the win in net making five saves.
- Mount Ida goalkeeper Riley Ford (Guilderland, N.Y.) made six saves in the loss and falls to 8-5-1 in the pipes.
- Prior to the start of the game the Saints honored its four seniors, recognizing Messier, Gustavo Fuenmayor Pineda, Chris Cutrali and Jason Miech.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Monday, October 16 when they host UMass Boston in their last home game of the regular season at 7:00 PM.
- Mount Ida returns to action on Wednesday, October 18 playing host to Norwich University at 7:00 PM in GNAC play.