Score: Norwich University, 39; Emmanuel College, 65
Records: Norwich Cadets (8-18, 4-7 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (19-7, 9-2 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, February 25th, 2020
THE LEAD: After a slow start for both squads, first ranked Emmanuel College exploded for 38 points in the final two periods to take down the eighth ranked Norwich University in the quarterfinal round of the Great Northeast Athletic Conference playoffs on Tuesday evening. Senior duo Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) and Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) combined for 40 points and 23 rebounds to the semifinal round on Thursday, February 27th.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams were only able to combine for a total of 18 points in the first quarter, but Ramirez Tejeda was able to keep the Saints ahead after the first with eight points in the paint to lead the Cadets, 11-7.
- Weaver started to come alive early in the second scoring on back to back jump shots and two made free throws, 25-10, but Norwich's Kailynne Frederick (Adams, Mass.) and Emily Schromm (North Attleboro, Mass.) drained two late period buckets to close the second down by twelve points, 27-15.
- The Cadets worked early in the third to close the gap to four with back to back three-point shots by Kristieann DeSilvio (Chelmsford, Mass.) and Riley Bennett (Hopkinton, N.H.), 27-23, but the Saints continued to work the inside-out that created a layup for Caitlin Cipriano (Waterbury, Conn.) and shot behind the arc by Korie Mathis (Deluth, Ga.), closing out the third ahead, 43-33.
- The fourth quarter was a scoring barrage by the Saints, starting with a jump shot by Weaver and two layups by Ramirez-Tejeda, 49-35. DeSilvio and Frederick worked to keep Norwich in reach, but a seven-point streak by Weaver solidified the game for EC, 65-39.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda recorded her nineteenth double-double of the year with 21 points and 17 rebounds, while Weaver added on another 19 points, six rebounds, three steals and two assists.
- Norwich was led by Frederick's twelve-point performance while teammate DeSilvio was right behind with ten points of her own.
- EC won in almost every category, including out rebounding the Cadets 50-36 and creating 27 turnovers off of 12 steals.
- While the Cadets season has come to a close, #1 Emmanuel will host #4 Suffolk University on Thursday evening at 7PM in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference semifinal.