Score: Saint Joseph's College (ME), 40; Emmanuel College, 81
Records: Saint Joseph's College Monks (15-8, 7-2 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (17-7, 7-2 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, February 15, 2020
THE LEAD: On their Senior Day game, Emmanuel College seniors Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.), Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) and Caitlin Cipriano (Waterbury, Conn.) combined to score 44 points to lift the Emmanuel College women's basketball team past Saint Joseph's College (ME), 81-40, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action in Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel raced out to a 6-1 lead to open the action following a pair of steals and transition layups by Weaver.
- The Monks battled back to tie the game at 8-8 following a pair of free throws by Bri Jordan (Gray, Maine) with 5:07 to play in the opening quarter before the Saints took the lead for good on a jumper by sophomore forward Riley Lahiff (North Attleboro, Mass.) on the next possession.
- The Saints built a 21-16 lead after the first quarter before taking control in the second frame, outscoring Saint Joseph's by a 14-2 margin to head into the locker room ahead at the break, 35-18.
- EC kept its foot on the gas in the third, holding the Monks starters to only two points in the stanza while Ramirez-Tejeda and Weaver combined for 15 in the quarter to help the hosts add to the lead and take a 60-30 cushion into the final frame.
- Emmanuel held the Monks to just 3-for-13 shooting in the final quarter, outscoring them by a 21-10 margin in the final stanza to cruise to an 81-40 statement win for the defending GNAC champs.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda finished with her 18th double-double of the year, posting 18 points and 10 rebounds in 22 minutes of action.
- Weaver added 15 points, six assists and five steals while Cipriano chipped in with a season-high 11 points on 4-for-9 shooting from the field.
- Jordan was the only Monk in double-figures, ending the action with 16 points off the bench.
- The Saints outrebounded the Monks by a 53-35 margin in the win paced by a career-high 11 rebound effort off the bench by first year center Emma Fenton (Monument Beach, Mass.).
- Prior to the start of the contest, the Saints athletic department honored the three seniors in Ramirez-Tejeda, Weaver and Cipriano as well as EC Superfan President, Michael Walsh, who has been an avid supporter of the program for the past four seasons.
- The Saints close out the regular season on Tuesday, February 18 against Lasell College, tipping off at 6:00 PM in Newton, Mass.
- The Monks are back in action the same day against Rivier University, hosting the Raiders at 7:00 PM in Standish, Maine.