Eastern Nazarene College, 0; Emmanuel College 3 (25-18, 25-16, 25-16)
MIT 3, Emmanuel College, 0 (25-16, 25-13, 25-17)
Records: MIT (10-3); Eastern Nazarene (8-6); Emmanuel (4-7)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (DuPont Gym)
The Lead: The Emmanuel College men's volleyball team settled for a tri-match split on Saturday afternoon at DuPont Gymnasium on the MIT campus. The Saints earned a 3-0 sweep in their opener over Eastern Nazarene College before falling to the host Engineers in the nightcap, 3-0, to finish the afternoon with a 1-1 record. During the second match, EC senior setter Seamus McDonagh (Long Beach, N.Y.) dished out his 3,000th career assist to become just the third player in program history to reach the milestone.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. Eastern Nazarene:
- The Saints earned a 25-18 victory in the first set to construct a 1-0 advantage.
- Emmanuel seized a 2-0 lead with a 25-16 decision in the second frame.
- The Saints prevailed 25-16 in the third to clinch their second win of the season over Eastern Nazarene.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior Seamus McDonagh (Long Beach, N.Y.) paced the Saints with 21 assists, nine digs and seven kills.
- Senior Justyn Schueler (Trumbull, Conn.) led the way with 10 kills while hitting .400 in the win.
- First year Josh McDonald (Smithtow, N.Y.) added five total blocks to go with three kills.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. MIT:
- MIT led by just one at 8-7 early in the set, but went on a 7-3 run to pull away for the 25-16 victory. Bradley Albright (Burnt Hills, N.Y.) sparked the offense for the Engineers with three straight kills. With Tommy Ogeka (Manorville, N.Y.) serving, MIT secured the set with an Emmanuel error, an ace and a kill by Allen.
- The second set was knotted up at 5-5 before MIT scored four straight points thanks to a kill and an ace by Albright as the Engineers went up for good 9-5. Late in the stanza, the Engineers found themselves up 19-12 and scored six of the final seven points to win the middle set 25-13. The set-ending run was capped by an ace via Dylan Ryan (Oviedo, Fla.).
- The final set saw the Engineers open up on a 7-2 run that was finished on an ace by Ogeka. Emmanuel pulled within four late in the stanza, but a kill and an ace by Linnus gave MIT the third 25-17 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Allen led MIT with 11 kills, while Albright added ten and Linnus and Gustafson both tallied seven. Seth Fine (Allentown, Pa.) handed out 37 assists, while Ogeka notched a career-high four service aces.
- McDonagh dished out 12 assists in the match including the 3,000th helper of his career at Emmanuel.
- Eight different Engineers registered at least one dig, but MIT was guided by Albright and Ogeka who both notched six. Linnus and Ryan picked up solo blocks for the Engineers in their second match.
- Schueler powered the EC offensive effort with a team-best nine kills in the defeat.
- MIT led statistically in kills (40-23), hitting percentage (.322-.099), assists (39-22), service aces (9-0), digs (34-28) and block assists (15-9).
- EC returns to action on Wednesday, February 19 when they hit the road to take on Endicott College at 6:00 PM.
*Some release content provided courtesy of MIT Athletic Communications