Score: Emmanuel College, 87; Wheaton College, 81
Emmanuel College Saints (7-1, 0-0 GNAC)
Wheaton College Lyons (2-3, 0-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Norton, Mass. – Emerson Gymnasium
Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2019
THE LEAD: Junior Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.) recorded a double-double of 26 points and 10 rebounds to power Emmanuel College past host Wheaton College, 87-81, Tuesday evening in non-conference men's basketball action at Emerson Gymnasium
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints played a dominant first half of basketball, leading by as many as 20 (45-25) during the action, en route to a 17 point lead at the break (50-33)
- EC shot 55.3% from the field in the opening stanza which included 54.5% (6-for-11) from downtown and owned a 22-17 advantage on the glass.
- Emmanuel held a comfortable double-digit lead until about seven minutes remaining in the contest when the Lyons rallied to make it an exciting finish. A three by Alex Dubrow with 7:02 remaining cut the EC lead to single digits at 70-61.
- Dubrow made it a one-point game (78-77) with a pair of free throws with 2:34 remaining before Fox answered with two of his own from the stripe.
- On the next possession, Alex Carlisle connected on a layup in traffic to again close the score to one, 80-79 with just over two minutes to play in regulation.
- The Saints scored the game's next seven points to pull away, 87-79 before Carlisle capped the scoring with a hoop to with three seconds to play to account for the 87-81 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Fox was one of five Saints in double-figures as senior Emmett Riddick (16 points), junior Jack Moulder (12 points), graduate student Dan Flaherty (11 points) and junior Zach Crisafulli (10 points) powered the team-effort in the victory.
- DuBrow finished with a game-high 30 points while Robby Lowey added 19 points and 10 boards for a double-double.
- The win moves the Saints to 7-1 on the year for the best start in program history.
- Emmanuel is back in action on Thursday, December 5 when they play host to Emerson College at 7:00 PM on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
- Wheaton also returns to action on Thursday, travelling to Newton, Mass. to take on GNAC foe Lasell College in a 7:30 PM tip.